Library Organization

Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center

Joint Columbia/Princeton studio founded 1958-59 around the RCA Mark II synthesizer, the oldest electroacoustic music center in the US.

Founded in 1958-59 with a Rockefeller Foundation grant as a joint venture between Columbia University (Otto Luening and Vladimir Ussachevsky, who chaired the Center) and Princeton University (Milton Babbitt and Roger Sessions), the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center is the oldest electroacoustic music center in the United States. Its flagship instrument, the RCA Mark II Sound Synthesizer, was installed in one of its studios in Columbia’s Prentis Hall. Engineer Peter Mauzey served as the Center’s lead technician. It was renamed the Computer Music Center in 1996.